The Real Ale Wobble 2013

Start of the Real Ale WobbleI’ve been to the Real Ale Wobble every year since about 2001 – see my collection of maps and videos. This is a great event that sees several hundred riders combine cross country riding with beer and food stops.

It was organised by volunteers for Green Events and all proceeds went to the village primary school. The route was designed by local bike shop Cycle-Tec who were also responsible for the 2010/2011 route.

I spent some time on Friday night fixing the bike that I wanted to ride (bike A). Some testing of this in the car park showed that the new chain on a slightly worn cassette was going to jump. I agonised over it being suitable for the event and packed bike B as well so I could make a decision the next day.

Rather conveniently my parents live in Llanwrtyd Wells where the event is based. They served as a hotel for three cycling friends – Gary, Jerome and Chris (they guy who broke his pelvis in the Alps this year. Article coming soon). I asked them what their plans were for the ride and they all mumbled something about being “a bit tired” and “not in a hurry”. I think this was related to beer and 1am bedtime.

Real Ale WobbleA warm drizzle was falling outside the house and after a quick test ride of Bike A where the chain jumped all over the place  I decided that Bike B was the sensible choice.

I wanted to see what sort of time I could manage if I worked at a fair pace. The long route was advertised as 27 miles so I was expecting around three and half hours which didn’t sound too taxing. The Ale Wobble doesn’t really attract the racing type – it’s more about being sociable and enjoying the epic nature of it. I wasn’t doing this to prove anything other than what I could do to myself.

I spotted a map on the wall at registration and took a quick look. I’d ridden every part of the route before but not all as part of an Ale Wobble. In some ways I’d wanted the route to be a surprise but it was good to have an idea of where it was going.

The start countdown resulted in the usual slow moving queue as bikes filtered out of the school car park. I set off about one third of the way down the field. I was feeling pretty feisty and overtook a lot of riders on the slight climb along the main road. I managed a similar number along the lane and then up the first track climb. When I reached the top of the first descent I realised that there were no riders in front of me. I was at the front!

Real Ale Wobble in the woods.

Near the bottom I thought I saw one rider on the other side of the valley who was already moving up the next climb. When I reached the climb I had someone close behind me and pushed my pace up a bit. I then forbade myself from looking behind to see if they were catching me. That lasted until I stopped to capture a photograph of the ants riding down the first descent. They had not gained any ground on me which was a relief.

I passed the first food stop feeling like the event had only just begun so I had no need to stop. The route took a new line out along the ridgeway towards Beulah. I’d ridden this a few years ago when exploring the area so knew what to expect. I passed a few marshals and one shouted that I was the first rider that they’d seen. That was encouraging. No idea what had happened to the rider who I’d seen earlier. Maybe they’d gone the wrong way.

Bridleway towards Beulah

I was enjoying this feeling of being ahead of the pack. I felt fresh and fit, the energy was there and the sun was shining. I had the trails to myself to enjoy. This was the moment!  I knew that, behind me, riders were caught up in the chaos at obstacles and descents.

I was mulling this over when a fast rider appeared from nowhere and overtook me. He looked like a proper xc racer and was soon gone into the distance. Another caught me on the chapel climb up behind Cwm Trallwwm, asking if I’d seen any other riders. He also very quickly disappeared into the distance.

Chapel Hill near Cwm TrallwmI stopped for water and some muesli bars at the top of the trails and a third rider passed me. I was a pleasantly surprised to find that the trails at Cwm Trallwm had received some surfacing at the top and an inviting new descent replaced the old mud fest. I knew the lower section well from the Red Kite xc race series (includes video). My average speed was around 13km/h at this point which was very encouraging considering the amount of climbing and gloopy conditions. A fast road section delivered me to the bottom of a long track climb near Abergwesyn. At this point I’d been riding for 1h50m and covered 15 miles with an average speed of 8.3mph aka 13.5 km/h.

Back ache set in on the climb so I had to drop the pace a little. I was encouraged to have equal aching on both sides. The left side normally complains first. The pilates and yoga was showing some definite results for me.

I was overtaken at the top by an annoyingly old looking rider. I knew I couldn’t go any faster so it was a fair cop. He made good progress through the boggy ground on top of the hill too. The rider behind failed to catch me which was a plus.

I put the front wheel into another boggy patch and watched it disappear up the axle and then went over the bars feet first. This was in front of my parents who were marshalling. They told me that the previous rider had done the same. After the event they said that they’d been laughing all day at the stream of crashes due to that bog. Next time they must take a camera.

Over the bars in bog.

The long route now rejoined the shorter options and I got to see the crowds. I didn’t feel the need to use the food stop and carried on. It gave me a warm feeling that maybe I was now almost properly fit as I passed riders pushing up the hills.

I reached the top of the final descent at 21 miles in 2h51 (7.2mph / 11.6 km/h). I knew that it was just a fast descent and a road ride left so I could probably finish within 3.5 hours. The descent went without any issues and I passed the food stop at the bottom. The bike was really flying along the road and I still had the energy to push the pace a bit. The wheels were whirring on the road surface. Next I became aware of a flaccid rear end and had to stop to investigate. The rear tube had been punctured by a thorn and fixing that cost me several minutes.

Marshals at mountain bike event.

After a very long tea and sandwich session I added another 11km by riding along the road to the last food stop to find Chris.

Overall a great event. I’d ridden all of the route before so there was nothing new for me but it used most of the best sections of trail in the area and I was very pleased with my time, energy levels and general tidyness of the riding. Total elapsed time was 3h25 and 25.7 miles/41.5km (7.5mph/12.1km/h). The moving time was 3h02 (8.5mph/13.7km/h). Elevation gain 930m (Garmin) / 1200 (Bikehike).

A rider on twitter said they’d done it in 3h05, so once again, the way to become faster is to stop less. I’d used up 23 minutes doing nothing. Out of that I’d probably used 7 minutes on the puncture, and a similar time taking photos and video, leaving about 9 minutes resting. My parents said I’d been the 4th rider out of 240 who had passed their marshal point. Which was nice. 

Route on Garmin connect | gpx file (right click to save and view using The last big climb uses a track next to a bridleway. This was used by special permission for the event.

The Real Ale Wobble 2013 map

I rode some sections again on the Sunday and made the video out of the best bits from both days.

One thought on “The Real Ale Wobble 2013”

  1. Nice one Tom.
    It always amazes me how much time you stop on a ride, when you are doing it you think you are moving for most of the time

Leave a Reply to Gary Palmer Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *